Hebron Evangelical Church, or simply “Hebron”, is an independent church which is affiliated to the Evangelical Alliance and enjoys fellowship with all Evangelicals of whatever denominational label and with other local churches. Long Ashton is a popular and expanding village close to Bristol and currently has approximately 6000 residents. Some are life-
Membership currently stands at around 30 with an average Sunday morning congregation of around 50. Evening services are smaller with an average of 15 attendees. Hebron is an exciting mixture of people from varied backgrounds:-
In the later 1920s a young Christian, Ernest Dyer, and his sister came out from Bristol every Sunday and held a Sunday School for the children of Long Ashton. He built a meeting place on Providence Lane which also doubled as his home. Hebron was officially established as a church in 1934, with Ernest Dyer as the Pastor, a position he occupied until his death in 1967. The church was named “Hebron” because an aim was for it to be a “place of refuge”.
During the 1930s and 1940s, Dr Vernon Charley, who developed the blackcurrant drink Ribena whilst at the Long Ashton Research Station, was the organist and an Elder of the Church. During the 1950s, Roger T Forster, founder of Ichthus Christian Fellowship was a regular preacher whilst doing National Service with the RAF.
Since then much has changed but Hebron has remained a thriving church.